Saturday, November 24, 2012

Thanksgiving 2012

This Thanksgiving was special for me on several accounts. For one, it was Colten Luke's first Thanksgiving! Secondly, we were able to spend it with the entire extended part of my mom's side of the family. We saw many cousins, aunts, uncles whom we do not get to see very often (some hadn't even met Jonathan yet!) so getting to visit and share my family with them was a huge treat!

Overall, one of the BIGGEST Thanksgiving praises was having my Grandma - literally a walking miracle there celebrating with us! In February of 2012, she got e-coli, and was admitted into the ICU. Soon after we learned her kidneys had failed, along with a domino effect of many other issues putting her in severe condition. Her four loving daughters made sure there was a rotation of family and friends to stay by her side and pray over her. We were all asking for a miracle, even though things were looking very grim. I specifically remember one hospital visit that I went with Jonathan, my brother Chris, and his wife Summer. Summer and I were in the room together when Gramma was able to talk for the first time after about a month and a half due to her Tracheotomy. It was obvious she had something important to say that we couldn't seem to lip read- so the doctor came in to plug her trache for us when she blurted out "I, Helen, in the company of my grandaughter and grandaughter-in-law, am letting you know I want to go home. I can't do this, I know it's hard for you, but you all need to let just me go." That was it. That was the night I thought would be one of the last we would have with her.

Even though that wasn't the last mention of letting her go, she managed to hold on. We began to see signs of improvement, and against all medical odds her kidneys miraculously returned to full function. After eight long months of hospitalization and rehabilitation she has now re-learned to talk, eat, AND walk! So, as you can see this year was an enormous celebration of Thanksgiving for all of my family. Gramma is a true fighter, and her family, her daughters especially, did not give up on her. More importantly God did not give up on her, and he obviously has a reason for her to still be here.

In light of Thanksgiving, I am SO thankful for the recovery of Gramma. I'm thankful for my husband who is a hard worker, and takes such good care of me and Colten. And I'm thankful for Colten, who brings so much joy to my heart and my life on a daily basis. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

This photo is of my sweet family with Gramma Thanksgiving 2012. The other one is at Colten's birth September 2012. Gramma's first rehab center shared a parking lot with the hospital that he was born at, so she was able to come visit us! She was still in a wheelchair at that point, but started walking soon after!





1 comment:

  1. What great news about your Grandma! I love that God healed her body and that His plan meant for you all to have more time with her. What a wonderful thing to celebrate on Thanksgiving! (o:

    ReplyDelete